Tuesday, June 22, 2010

World Cup Lesson - Put Into Practice

I actually printed up one of the world cup themed lesson plans and ran it in my tercero and quarto classes this past week with a great deal of success.

The one I used can be found HERE.

With the terceros I first had them run through football vocab and then list as many of the countries involved as they could using their English names. Once all thirty-two are accounted for, I pass out the worksheets that have the English names of the countries on them, as well as some great vocab.
I then go on to explain the idea of "winner"and "runner-up" and how the winner of Group A will play the runner-up of Group B, and so forth. This leads into using If/Then statements to describe the Knock-out round.
My classes are only forty minutes now, so that is usually a full set right there. With the quartos, I added in the ideas of using possibility vs. probability that are suggested in the lesson plan.

Since all the kids want to talk about is the games, it really does make a lot of sense to give them these sorts of exercises so that they can express themselves in English on a subject they care about.

Buena Suerte, and viva Chile!

1 comment:

  1. Good one John, I think I'll do that next week. The other reason to teach world cup-related lessons is that the lesson will/may be reinforced whenever they watch a game, or read an article about soccer etc. Viva Chile!

    ReplyDelete